Are you looking for some simple or easy to do crafts for Valentine’s Day for you and your family? If you are celebrating Valentine’s Day with your family, it is the perfect time to work together creating crafts that represent love and affection. These crafts are appropriate for children to do with their parents, or grandparents, or for the entire family to work on together.
Valentine’s Day Cards
Cards are an easy craft for young children to make with some adult supervision, and they are also a popular gift on Valentine’s Day. Sitting down to make cards together is fun, and simple to set up around a kitchen table.
Make your Valentine’s Day cards out of common household materials. You can incorporate fabrics such as lace, buttons, sequins, stickers, string, foil, and many other items to make inexpensive cards. If you are in a climate that is warm enough, you can collect flowers from outdoors, and press them to put in the cards. Adding photographs will also enhance the personalized effect of the cards. You can copy an existing photo using your computer, and then use the copy to put in the card.
For younger children, it is easier if you cut out the shapes ahead of time, for them to assemble into the cards. Then you can add glitter, tissue paper flowers, or sequins for texture and sparkle. Magic markers, crayons, or water soluble paints can be used, but make sure that they will wash out of clothing. It is best to use a plastic tablecloth to cover any surfaces that you are working on.
Another idea for Valentine’s crafts is painting stones. You will need to purchase some supplies for this project. Buy stones from a rock shop, craft store, or collect them from your garden, but they must have a smooth surface. You will also need paint markers in whatever colors that you wish to use. For Valentine’s Day, popular colors are red, white, and pink, and then at least one contrasting color for writing. You can add glitter using glitter glue pens. If you want to make jewelry or magnets with your painted rocks, then you will also need a hot glue gun and glue sticks.
* Select stones that are the right size and shape for whatever item you are going to make. Some unusual shapes suggest interesting patterns or designs such as flowers, hearts, or animals.
* Wash the stones in soap and water and dry thoroughly.
* Paint the stone in the base color and let dry.
* Use a paint pen to create your flower, picture or printed message, such as “I Love You”, in a contrasting color to the base coat. You can define the shape of your design by outlining with dots or a solid line. Simple ideas, using bright contrasting colors, work very well for this project.
* Let dry overnight.
* For a more interesting gift, add glitter glue pen accents. Let dry completely.
* If you want to make the stone into a magnet or jewelry, turn over the stone and use the glue gun to attach a magnet or jewelry pin. Glue guns are hot, so must be handled by adults only.
Another activity that is fun for parents to do with children is simple baking. Valentine’s Day treats are fun to make, especially when they include chocolate. Here is a simple recipe that you can do with children.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
150 gm: Chopped bitter chocolate/White chocolate
8 tbsp: Puffed rice
3 tbsp: Assorted chopped nuts
2 tbsp: Raisins
1 no: Grated rind of an orange (not sure of this measurement—must be in British)
* Bake puffed rice on a baking sheet at 180 degree C for 10-15 minutes or until golden in color.
* Let cool.
* Repeat the same process with the nuts.
* Combine the nuts, rice and raisins together.
* Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave oven.
* Stir the rice, nuts, raisins and orange rind into the melted chocolate.
* Spoon the chocolate mixture and drop rough heaps onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. You can use parchment paper on the baking sheet as an alternative to oil.
* Leave in a cool place to set before removing from the baking sheet.
* Store the cooled clusters in an airtight tin.
Whichever of these activities you choose; spending the day on Crafts for Valentine’s Day will bring the entire family closer. Having fun together, and creating something special will leave lasting memories for both the children and the adults. This is a perfect opportunity to get grandparents involved with their grandchildren, so that everyone will have a good time.
More Great Crafts for Valentine’s Day For You and The Kids